Sunday, November 18, 2012

Cleaning & Sealing Travertine Tile

We added Travertine Tile to our entry, kitchen & laundry room about 6 years ago.  
Unfortunately, the grout has gotten pretty gross over the years...it's actually turned black!  
I guess we were suppose to be sealing it every year & we never had.
I couldn't stand it anymore, so I decided to see if I could clean the grout myself...Amazingly it worked!!

HOW TO CLEAN THE TILE...

I started with these supplies...
Comet, A spray bottle filled with warm water & a textured rag.

I started by shaking some comet onto the black grout, then I sprayed the water onto that & it kind of made a paste.  Just scrub with the rag.  I'm sure a toothbrush would work too, but my rag really got it off!
Then I sprayed more water & wiped it all off. 
 I was really surprised!
This did take some time & I actually worked on it a few days, but it was so worth it!!
I just did small sections at a time.
After I finished cleaning all of the grout, I mopped the floor twice before I applied the sealer.  

APPLYING THE SEALER...
After the floor is completely dry I used this sealer from Home Depot.

Then I used a small smooth roller & a disposable paint tray.
 
A little bit goes a long way, so I just poured a small amount of  sealer at a time.

 I just did a few rows of tile at a time.  
You just roll it all over the tile & grout.    
Then you let it sit for 3-5 minutes & wipe it off with a clean white towel.  

It's amazing how a few supplies can make such a difference!

I wish I hadn't waited so long to seal the floors...it wasn't as hard as I thought!
I'm sharing with these blogs:
My Uncommon Slice Of Suburbia
Home Stories A to Z
Chic On A Shoestring
Making The World Cuter
The 36th Avenue

No comments:

Post a Comment