Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Pillow Covers....

I have some pillows in my living room that I wanted to look more festive for the holidays.  I decided to make covers so I can use them each year.

I started by measuring my pillows...they are 15 X 15  inches.


 I cut my first piece of fabric to be 16 X 16 inches.
This will be the front of the pillow.

For the second piece of fabric, I added 3.5 inches, so it makes the flap in the back to insert the pillow. So it ended up being a 19.5 X 16 inch piece.

Now cut the 19.5 X 16 inch piece in half.
 These two pieces will end up being the back of your pillow.
On each of the smaller pieces, fold the fabric over on one side about a 1/2 inch & sew it down.
(You will now have two pieces that look just like this)

If you are going to add embelishments or decorations to the front piece....do it now before you sew the front & back together.

I ended up making three pillow covers.
On the first one, I used felt & cut out a tree & a star & then sewed them onto the front piece of the pillow.
I cut out a Christmas tree from a gift bag to use as my template

For the next two pillows,  I took white felt & made some ruffles & then sewed them on to the front.

Now that the "decorating" is done, we are ready to finish them!

Place your fabric right sides together, line up the edges (remember...your back side will end up with a flap in the middle so the one piece will overlap the other).
This is the first piece of the back lined up ready to sew.
 
Next, add the second piece to the back & put a few pins in & just sew all the way around!
Both of the back side pieces are lined up....you can see the one overlaps the other.

Turn the fabric around & you have yourself a cute pillow!!
My Christmas tree pillow...

My ruffle pillow

These are going to look so much better with my Christmas Decor!

This was shared this week at:
www.passionatelyartistic.com

http://www.thecorsoncottage.blogspot.com/




Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special






Link Party
 Creating Christmas at The Girl Creative
The Girl Creative







Tip Junkie handmade projects

Home Stories A2Z





The 36th Avenue




Chic on a Shoestring Decorating


No comments:

Post a Comment